Father’s Day is celebrated on different dates in different countries around the world. And while people in most countries honor their dads on the third Sunday of June, Father’s Day in Australia doesn’t roll around until September. Let’s get to know everything about Father’s Day in Australia, you will discover many interesting things.
When Is Father’s Day In Australia
People in Australia celebrate Father’s Day on the first Sunday of September. This year, the special day falls on 5 September 2021. Just like its meaning in other countries worldwide, Father’s Day is an occasion for people to show their love and appreciation for fathers and all father figures in their life. Father figures can be fathers-in-law, stepfather, or family friends.
Is Father’s Day a public holiday in Australia?
In this country, Father’s Day is not regarded as a national public holiday. The day is on Sunday, 5 September 2021 and it is clear that most companies follow regular Sunday opening hours in Australia.
As a lot of people tend to prepare thoughtful gifts for their dads on Father’s Day, some stores, restaurants and cafes may be busy on the special day.
Why is Father’s Day in Australia celebrated in September
We guess that many of you are wondering why Father’s Day in Australia falls on the first Sunday of September. Let us help you understand.
Normally, most countries celebrate Father’s Day in June. However, when it comes to the months from April to June, there is a wide range of events and holidays in the Australian calendar. They celebrate the Easter long weekend, Anzac Day and the Queen’s Birthday. Also, we can’t forget to mention Mother’s Day, Labour Day and May Day in this country.
Many people usually talk about the “convenience” of Father’s Day in Australia. The day is held in September and it is conveniently far away from most Australian dates. Furthermore, Father’s Day in Australia coincides with the beginning of Spring – the wonderful season to look for the best dad gifts like camping, sporting, and fishing items.
How do Australians celebrate Father’s Day?
There are always special ways for people in different parts around the world to celebrate Father’s Day, and so do Australians!
A lot of Australians honor their dads by expressing their gratitude and recognition for their fathers or father figures. They follow various ways to celebrate the day and these may include ( but are not limited to):
- Gift-giving: Yes! The very first way to celebrate Father’s Day that most people usually think of is gift-giving. Choosing a thoughtful gift for dad and a meaningful card is a sentimental way to show love to the special dad in their life!
- Handmade gifts: Children in many schools are usually encouraged and taught to create the best DIY gifts for dad on Father’s Day.
- Outdoor activities: The most outstanding outdoor activities are a day out in the park, at the movie theatre, or any other place of their dad’s interest.
- Special meal for dad: It can be breakfasts, lunches or dinners and the meals may be at home or at a restaurant.
- Join in Father’s Day charity activities: This is one of the most special activities to celebrate Father’s Day in Australia. People often participate in different volunteer activities such as fun runs or buying special gifts to raise money for various causes such as research on prostate cancer or services for the visually impaired.
- Visit places of worship: Family members also prefer to visit some places of worship like churches or mosques.
Besides those activities, some fathers also get adventures or experiences as interesting Father’s Day gifts. It can be a quad bike adventure or swimming with the whale sharks, so wonderful experiences!
Another meaningful thing to discover is that some newspapers pick this time of year to publish positive and wonderful stories about dads. Those stories talk about the challenges that men faced as well as their achievements and what they did to bring the best for their children in Australia. In addition, during this period, you can also find some Father’s Day specials on television or radio programs.
It’s all about Father’s Day in Australia. How about Father’s Day in your country? Please comment to let us know! And Father’s Day is just around the corner. Let’s start from now to come up with the best things for the super dad in your life, making the upcoming date more and more special than ever!